Toy parts can snap or break off without warning, which can give your child the opportunity to swallow them. If you suspect that your child has ingested part of a toy, there are several things that you should do.
First, the American Family Physician states that you should take your child in to see the doctor within 24 hours of them swallowing the piece even if they don’t seem to be having any trouble. This is because items can get lodged in their windpipe. Trips to the doctor should come immediately if your child swallowed anything sharp, made out of metal or corrosive like a battery. While blunt plastic objects are usually less trouble, you should visit a doctor immediately if your child starts to:
These can be symptoms of the item reacting poorly with your child, even if it is seemingly benign like a plastic bead.
Once at the doctor, your physician can use special tools to remove the object or push it down into your child’s stomach. Many items will naturally pass through the digestive system if they are not harmful. X-rays may also be taken to determine the location of the item or to identify it. Follow-up x-rays could be requested to track the progress of the item and to make sure that no complications arise.
Even a watchful parent like yourself can be caught off guard by pieces of toys that break off. However, acting quickly can ensure that your child remains safe.
Please speak to a personal injury lawyer in Lexington to learn more.